May 1, 2010

Curry in a Hurry



I've been making a lot of cous cous lately cause it's so easy and fast. Yesterday at the grocery store I seen a new flavor I usually don't see at the store in the instant cous cous, curry. I bought some. I also seen a huge tub of cous cous I almost bought that was unflavored, but I was thinking I didn't really feel up to coming up with a recipe for it so didn't buy it, even though by the pound it was a TON cheaper. And it was cute too-different colors! Then I was laying in the bathtub today thinking about what to do with the curry flavored cous cous when it came to me, I have a favorite dish I NEVER make because of the time it takes to make brown rice. It's good friend of mine's mother's recipe, she was from Ghana. I rarely rarely make the dish any more because of the time involved, but it was always a family favorite. And it came to me, I could make that dish with cous cous instead of rice, and it would have the same flavor! Oh my goodness, why didn't I ever think of this before. Now I can't wait to try it. And I won't have to buy the preflavored cous cous, I can make it just fine with the plain cheaper cous cous, and it will be pretty with that multi colored one I seen. I just can't wait to give this old family favorite a twist and see how it comes out. If it works, it will bring the time down so much this could literally be a weekly dish and not just special occasion dish! I am so excited, I just can't wait to try it!

No comments: