May 3, 2010

Margaret Appiah-Kubi's Jollof



I went to the store today to buy the big container of cous cous. And wouldn't you know it? They were already out of it! So I had to go to another store and thankfully they had it. Came home and made my cous cous version of Jollof. It was yummy! Came out just how I remember it! While at the store I seen red quinoa as well, so I bought it too. Guess what's on the menu next week? You guessed it, a quinoa version of Jollof!

We also went to two more bowling alleys. Glad we looked around. One was really ran down. But, the other one was really nice and big, had super clean bathrooms, and every thing. So we found the one we'll join. Has a big parking lot too, so it will be easy for all the friends to meet us there as well. It's right off Hempstead Turnpike in East Meadows. I think we'll have a lot of fun this summer meeting up with the friends for a few games a week.

In Ghana they do not write down recipes, you only learn to cook by watching and listening to your mother. One year, we decided to focus on learning about Ghana, that included eating foods they would eat there. My mom looked high and low for recipes from Ghana turning up nothing! (that was before the days of recipes.com and google!) So she finally asked her friend Margaret who was from Ghana if she could help her. Margaret explained they did not have recipe books in Ghana. But, invited my mother to come and watch her fix a meal for her family. The meal my mom observed prepared was Jollof. A traditional meal served in Ghana and also Nigeria. My mom diligently wrote down every thing that Margaret did to prepare Jollof, and it's been a family favorite ever since.

Margaret Appiah-Kubi's Jollof



  • 2 cups rice
  • 6 cups water
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast cut in small pieces (or whatever the hunters found the night before)
  • 1 cup mushrooms sliced
  • 1 cup sliced carrots
  • 1 cup diced onions
  • 1 small can of tomato paste
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder
  • salt and pepper to taste

Put water and chicken on to cook, boil for 45 minutes. Add rice and vegetables, (more water may be needed). Cook 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Add tomato paste and spices. Stir and serve.

Other vegetables you have on hand may be substituted as well, according to Margaret.

4 comments:

Rhonda said...

Sounds great!! You should post this on my picture website!! What do you do when you substitute the cous cous?

MagnoliaWhisper said...

ok added it.

Rhonda said...

thanks! I must try both of these!

MagnoliaWhisper said...

I think quinoa will hold up it's shape better then cous cous. The cous cous did ok, but some people may not exactly like it for this dish, if they are rice lovers. (I don't care for rice and love cous cous so it was good to me!). But, if you like the texture of rice more, then I would do it with quinoa. I am thinking do it the same as with cous cous version, but sit for 15 minutes instead of 5!