July 9, 2010

Bottle Breaking



We are having a terrible heatwave! It's been almost unbearably hot and humid. So just staying in and trying to keep the ac a little bit ahead of the heat, but it's just barely keeping up.

Monday we went and had Belle's pictures taken, I think they are the best yet! I can't wait to get them in. I just got the free ones, but I think I may actually buy some when they come in!

I've also been working on bottle breaking Belle since Monday, it's been a rough stressful few days! Crying, screaming, scratching, kicking, pulling hair out! It's been wild! My chest looks like I've been in a fight with a wild cat! But, I think we're finally "there"! *sigh* I am still pumping just to keep my supply up till I can get her nipple shield broke, and until I'm confident she is doing well enough to keep the supply up herself. I just know from previous experience, doctors around here don't want to prescribe milk producing drugs-even though they will prescribe drying drugs! And gave me some with Lela and didn't tell me! Then when my milk production went down because of that, they didn't want to prescribe me medication to bring it back up. And in fact said it didn't exist! And I know it does!

Any way, point being I guard my milk supply with my life since that happened after Lela was born. Because all the home remedies and over the counter drugs just don't work for me, sadly. In Canada they have some great prescription drugs though that I bet would work for me. But, alas I don't live there. So I have to do what I can to guard what I have so I don't have to resort to that.

I bought the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding from Amazon and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival! I'm going to try to go to LLL group meeting too and see if that helps any.

A friend of mine came up with the idea of using a SNS kit/system, and I didn't even think of that. Next preemie I am packing that in my hospital bag to go with me! It's a kit that is a bottle with a tube attached that you tape to your nipple to simulate breast feeding but they get it from a bottle, this is a easier transition for babies. It's usually though to stimulate milk production in a adoptive or low supply mother. I have never heard of it being used for preemies but makes perfect sense and I don't know why it's not suggested more! Thank you Heather Brock, for your great idea!

I'm still working on making my search engine for recipes. It will indeed take me at least a year, but be so worth it when I'm done. It will make searching for recipes I want/need so much easier. I just wish I could find some of the old JoAnna Lund fans who had Mastercook to help me do this. As I know there was a lot of them using Mastercook!

I was scared about using Mastercook this time last year cause of compatibility and the company who bought it out not really updating it, as is their history with buying out companies and then just letting them sit stale. But, they actually updated Mastercook! I hear though it has some problems, but they are working on them. I will buy it when they fix the problems. For now amazingly MC7 is working on my PC! Even though they are already up to MC11 and it's rarely updated! So that tells you how old my 7 is, my 7 was old when I bought it! lol haha Sadly I redownloaded MC9, but it's not working. I bought the download before I read on other groups that the download version has problems. However, Office Max often sells the CD for only 4 dollars, so I may buy it some time before I buy 11.

Well, that's my boring life this week. Convention is coming up fast, and hoping by then I am weaned from the pump and Belle from the bottle completely! If I wasn't so frugal, green and crunchy, I'd have a pump & bottle burning party! haha

No comments: